Vol. 11 No. 1
Effect of pre-harvest chemical treatments and mulching on marketability of mango (Mangifera indica L.) cv. Amrapali
Author(s): L. P. BHUSAN, C. PANDA AND A. K. DASH
Abstract: Ten-year-old mango plants cv. Amrapali with uniform vigor and size were given seven treatments comprising of black LDPE mulching 100 micron thickness (during September) and pre-harvest chemical spray of CaCl2 at 2.0, 4.0 and 6.0%, Ca(NO3)2 at 4.0%, borax at 1.0% in combination with mulching and control (water spray without mulching) at 30 days before the anticipated date of harvest. It was revealed that spraying of 1.0% borax along with black LDPE mulching exhibited highest fruit weight (262.56g) followed by (248.67g) in CaCl at 2.0% with mulching. On 12th day of storage the maximum fruit marketability (90.58%), minimum fruit decay (8.55%), minimum physiological loss of weight (15.13%) was recorded in treatment black LDPE mulching+borax at 1.0%. Therefore, the use of black LDPE mulching with borax at 1.0% spray is found to improve fruit size significantly, whereas CaCl2 at 2.0% with mulching is found effective for improving fruit marketability, reducing decay percentage and reducing physiological loss in weight of the fruit during storage in Amrapali.
Views: 407   |   Downloads: 1
Download Full Article: Click Here