Vol. 17 No. 3
Performance of finger millet [Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.] under integrated nutrient management in the Southern Laterites of Kerala
Author(s): R.A. GAFOOR, P.S. PILLAI, M.A. NISHAN AND T.S. RANI
Abstract: A field study was undertaken in the sandy clay loam soils of the Southern Laterites in Kerala, India, during the summer season of 2020-2021, to assess the effect of integrated nutrient management on the growth and yield of finger millet (Eleusine coracana (L) Gaertn.).The treatments comprised 10 combinations of five levels of nutrient substitution, with and without plant growth promoting rhizobacteria Mix I. Plant height and tiller count recorded with 100 per cent recommended dose of fertilizers (RDF) as inorganic and 75 per cent as inorganic + 25 per cent as vermicompost were comparable. The number of days taken by the crop to reach 50 per cent flowering stage was significantly more when the entire recommended dose of fertilizers was applied as organic. However, this was not reflected in the yield. Total dry matter was significantly higher when 75 per cent of RDF was applied as vermicompost along with the application of PGPR Mix I. Substituting 25 per cent of RDF with vermicompost in combination with plant growth promoting rhizobacteria Mix I resulted in significantly higher grain yield (1504 kg ha-1) in finger millet.
Views: 201   |   Downloads: 25
Download Full Article: Click Here